What do I do if I have a personalised plate?

As the registered keeper of a vehicle, you can apply to remove a registration number from the vehicle and hold it on a retention document for one, two or three years. You will need to take or send a completed form V317, along with your V5 and test certificate, to your nearest DVLA local office. Further details can be obtained by clicking the links below to the DVLA website.Please note that we can only buy your car once you have the full V5 document back from the DVLA. Retaining a registration mark and how to apply.
V317 – Application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number